Sorry, registration for this class has closed
We’re back in the nation’s capital at the Utility Dive offices for a one-day workshop covering how clean energy is impacting the electric utility industry. Due to popular demand we were able to adjust the room to get more seats. When it’s over, you’ll understand the difference between clean, green, renewable, as well as advanced energy choices; how the electric grid functions and how grid operators are handling greater penetrations of renewable energy; why utility regulation models may not encourage change; how solar changed everything; the challenges and promises of electrifying the transportation industry and so much more! Throughout the day we will simplify the overly complex industry jargon and help you gain better insights into the changes, challenges, and opportunities for you in today’s new energy marketplace. Ask questions and have some fun along the way…it’s worth a day of your time.
If you are new to the industry or you communicate, do business development or marketing, finance, legal, or IT around the electric utility industry for suppliers, utilities, clean energy companies, new service companies, associations, or policy makers, this is the program for you to get a strong grasp of the whole picture and your opportunities in an enjoyable, interactive workshop setting.
Is this workshop right for you?
Are you wondering how clean energy is re-shaping the industry? Have you recently joined the industry as part of a cleantech company, non-profit, or utility supplier? Do you work for an electric utility, regulatory agency, or policy-maker? Do you have to communicate complex energy topics to customers or the public? Maybe you are an experienced professional just looking to keep up with the industry changes and disruptions happening around you? Come join us...it will be well worth your time! See previous attendee's comments here.
When you're done you will know ...
So much more than you ever thought you were missing! You can tell all your friends about clean, green, renewable, and advanced energy & how the grid works. You'll be able to share your knowledge of the many types of generation--especially what clean means. Everyone will be impressed when you explain the different monopoly business models, and when someone asks, "What's a NERC?" you'll know. Plus you'll know what a FERC is. Wow them with your grasp of the North American grid organization, and explain why disruption has the industry in an upheaval. PURPA and Net Metering will no longer keep you up at night, and you'll rest easier knowing that unbundling and deregulation are occurring all across the country. If all of that wasn't enough, we'll throw in an understanding of the promise of de-carbonizing the transportation industry! All in one day.Contacts us here if you would like a more detailed learning objectives and curriculum outline.
Agenda: Clean Energy Meets the Electric Utility Industry
Unit 1 - Energy Foundations
- Defining and understanding energy
- Energy: Clean, Green, Renewable, & Advanced
- A focus on carbon, the energy life cycle, & industry emissions
- Physics vs politics
- Physics: properties and components of electrical energy
- Frequency, alternating current and direct current
- How does electricity generation work?
- Delivery of electrical energy through the electric power system
Unit 2 - Clean Energy’s Impact on Electric Generation
- Trends in the US’s electricity generation portfolio
- Analyzing electricity generation options based on cost, emissions, water needs, land needs, & other considerations
- Demand curves, base load, cycling load, & peaking load
- Comparing fossil fuel, nuclear, renewable generation options & energy storage
- Demand side management and its influence on generation choices
- Is this the cleanest way to do things?
Unit 3 - Send Lawyers, Guns and Money: the Greening of the Grid
- The US electric grid and electricity providers
- Politics: Federal versus State versus Local industry oversight
- The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- US energy pipeline infrastructure
- The North American Electric Reliability Corporation
- How the grid works
- How the grid handles increasing penetration of renewables
- Organized electric markets
- Day ahead and real time energy markets
Unit 4 - Understanding Utility Regulation & Behavior
- Regulated monopoly business model
- Regulatory Compact
- Investor owned vs. public utility differences
- State public utility commissions
- Ratemaking formulas, revenue requirements, & allocating costs
- Rate strategies & the rate case process
- How the model is changing & performance based ratemaking
Unit 5 - Utility Industry Revolution!
- De-regulation, unbundling and customer choice
- How solar changed everything
- What’s the deal with net metering and compensation models?
- The California Duck Curve and what it means
- Distributed energy resources and opportunities
- Emergence of the utility as a plug and play platform
- Can we operate the grid with 100% renewable energy?
- Carbon pricing examples
Unit 6 - Electrifying Transportation
- Ways to decarbonize transportation
- Challenges of transportation electrification
- Dealing with energy density in charging and range
- Personal vehicle and bus charging infrastructure
- The mass market and EV trends
- The end of the internal combustion engine?
- Acceleration opportunities for the market
- Price: $599
- Hours: 8:30AM to 4PM
- Location: Utility Dive Offices, 1575 I Street NW, 4th Floor, Washington, DC
- Instructor: Scott Williams